STAGE ON SCREEN (SOS) THEATRE FESTIVAL IV
The MAIN Theatre located in Santa Clarita, California is seeking entries for its upcoming 8-week online theatre festival that will feature plays within the theme of the CURRENT ZEITGEIST, which refers to the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time. The play you choose must be relevant to the history and culture of today, either in its contemporary themes or as a reimagining of an older play that still speaks to current times. We are looking for stories of all types and genres, including thoughtful, light-hearted, serious, pop culture, etc. Theatre companies and individuals from different cities, states, and countries are encouraged to submit entries.
• Email your submission on or before February 24, 2021, at 7:00 p.m. PST to email@example.com
• March: Play selection, performance dates & deadlines sent to companies
• Theatre groups will be responsible for sending information for marketing material including cast/crew bios and headshots due according to the specified deadlines.
• Live or recorded performance at 7:00 p.m. PST on one of these Friday nights: May 7, 14, 21, 28; June 4, 11, 18, 25. Plus, participating in a “MAINcast Interview” the Monday before your show.
• The MAIN will pay your company a stipend of $250 after your performance.
The MAIN is seeking play submissions for the upcoming Stage on Screen (SOS) Theatre Festival IV performing May 7 – June 25, 2021. We are looking for plays within the theme of the current zeitgeist that are relevant to today’s world. We are open to unique artistic conceptual changes that are available within the public domain or granted with permission from the author or publisher. We highly recommend choosing an original play from a local playwright as publishing companies are overcharging for online productions.
If your play is chosen to participate in the festival, we will purchase the licensing rights for you! (You may not choose a play from Concord Theatricals.) You are responsible for your own rehearsal schedule and finding your own cast and crew. We recommend about 2-4 weeks of rehearsals, not including tech.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; it must include the following:
- Title and author of the play
- A brief synopsis of the play and how it pertains to the theme of the current zeitgeist
- Company/individual’s name and where you are located
- Director’s resume
- The concept for your production over the online Zoom format
- Copy of the script
- Your top 3 preferences of performance dates (May 7 – June 25)
• This project is open to all artists, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical or mental disability. Artist teams are eligible to apply, including teams of artists from multiple disciplines.
• Your production must be a full-length one-act or two-act play (or a series of vignettes) that fits within the current zeitgeist theme.
For more information and updates, please view the “Online Performance Guidelines” or email one of the producers, Calliope at email@example.com.